Sickness Absence Management
Sickness absence cost the UK economy over £17 billion in 2009. The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development produces an Annual Absence Management Survey which demonstrates the cost of sickness absence. Key findings in 2009 were:
- The average level of absence per employee per year is 7.4 days.
- The average cost of absence per employee per year is £692.
- A company with 500 employees loses £346,000 every year due to absence.
How can we help reduce sickness absence?
There are two main types of absence: recurrent short-term and long-term sickness. Both types of absence are complex problems for employers to address. At Medwyn Occupational Health:
1. We work with you to agree trigger points for referral. For example:
- Long term absence, or absence is likely to exceed 28 days
- Repeated short term absence
- Serious accidents or illness at work
- Poor performance related to health concerns
- Substance misuse
- Health problems caused by work
- Fitness to attend a disciplinary interview
2. Each case management referral is supervised by an experienced occupational health clinician.
3. We support your management team and employees to effectively managing sickness absence within your organisation.
4. We provide a written report within 48 hours (in accordance with our consent to release Occupational Health report process) detailing the prognosis for your employee, an agreed return to work plan and recommendations for reasonable adjustments.
5. We can facilitate ‘round table’ case conferencing – to explore issues regarding a particular employee’s absence and/or capability for work.
6. Where there is no prospect of an employee’s health improving to a level that would ever allow them to return to work we can advise on their eligibility for early retirement on grounds of ill-health.