Occupational Health Advisor (Specialist Practitioner Occupational Health)
Medwyn Occupational Health is a friendly and professional SEQOHS provider based in Dorking, Surrey. Due to an exciting expansion of our client base, we are now seeking to recruit 2 enthusiastic and skilled Occupational Health Advisors. The role has the flexibility to be based from home, balanced with time for team building and face-to-face consultations at our Dorking clinic. There may be a small amount of travel required for in-house clinics.
Closing Date: Monday 21st June 2021
Interviews: From 1st July 2021To apply, please email your CV to our Occupational Health Manager, Kathy Honeywood-Howlett, at firstname.lastname@example.org
JOB SUMMARY AND WORKLOAD MANAGEMENT
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team the post holder will provide a high-quality Occupational Health Service to Medwyn Occupational Health.
- Knowledge and understanding of national occupational health strategies and guidelines are essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential with the ability to be flexible and adaptable.
Grade: Band 6 equivalent.
Qualifications: Registered Adult Nurse, Registered Specialist Community Public Health Nurse (Occupational Health)
Responsible to: OH Lead Physician – Occupational Health
Accountable to: Medical Director
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- NMC Level 1 registration
- OH qualification – degree/ diploma
- Continuous personal & professional development
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to work autonomously & as part of a team
- Ability to undertake vaccinations / immunisations / venepuncture
- Maintain legible & accurate Health Records in compliance with the Data Protection Act
- Ability to prioritise & manage own workload.
COMMUNICATION AND WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within Medwyn
- Able to support Head of OH in the provision of a nurse-led OH Service
- Contribute & participate in departmental meetings
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Work health assessment screening
- Administration of workplace immunisations
- Provision of independent/impartial advice to Line Managers/HR with regards to the management of sickness absence in accordance with Medwyn Occupational Health policies via management
- Undertake targeted Health Surveillance programmes and undertake supervision and mentorship of occupational health technicians when carrying out health surveillance screening programmes.
- Undertake venepuncture/ management of employees exposed to contamination incidents
- Conduct workplace assessments in conjunction with regulations e.g. DSE, COSHH, PPE
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the working environment and any related changes in the health & safety of employees.
- Participate in wellbeing initiatives and provision of individual lifestyle advice.
- Be personally accountable for own professional practice
- To undertake other duties commensurate with the post as requested.
DECISION MAKING AND ADVICE
- Able to supervise administration staff in the absence of OH manager/ senior advisors.
- Be professionally responsible & accountable for own actions & outcomes.
INITIATING AND IMPLEMENTING CHANGE
- Ability to supervise external contracts.
HEALTH, SAFETY & RISK MANAGEMENT
- The job holder must at all times comply with the Medwyn Occupational Health Health & Safety Policies, in particular by following agreed safe working procedures and reporting incidents.
- The jobholder is required to inform the line manager of any safety issues that could affect you or others in the workplace. You are responsible for your own Health & Safety and must co-operate with the management at all times in achieving safer work processes and workplaces, particularly where it can impact others.
- You will be trained in the correct use of any equipment provided to improve Safety and Health. You are required to use the equipment when necessary and as instructed; it is your responsibility to ensure the equipment is safe to use, prior to its use and must report any defects immediately to your manager.
PLUS FOR SUPERVISORY GRADES
- You are required to provide adequate supervision to ensure compliance with safe work practices.
- You will be expected to carry out risk assessments, identify hazards in your workplace, and evaluate the level of risk associated with identified hazards and implement adequate controls to eliminate or reduce the level of risk.
TRAINING AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- The jobholder must take personal responsibility in agreement with their line manager for his or her own personal development by ensuring that continuous professional development remains a priority. The jobholder will undertake all mandatory training required for the role
- Able to demonstrate a high standard of knowledge & skills relating to OH & demonstrate awareness of current professional issues.
- Participate in Medwyn Occupational Health appraisal process.
- The post holder must at all times carry out duties and responsibilities with due regard to Medwyn’s equal opportunities policies and procedures.
- The post holder must ensure that personal information for patients, members of staff and all other individuals are accurate, up-to-date, kept secure and confidential at all times in compliance with the Data Protection Act 2018, the Caldicott principles and the common law duty of confidentiality.
- The post holder must follow the record-keeping guidelines established by Medwyn to ensure compliance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- The post holder is expected to take responsibility for self-development on a continuous basis, undertaking on-the-job and other training as required.
- The post holder is required to familiarise him/herself with and comply with Medwyn’s policies and procedures.
- The post holder must be aware of individual responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act and identify and report, as necessary, any untoward accident, incident or potentially hazardous environment.
- All staff must ensure that they comply with Medwyn’s Infection Control policies and procedures and undertake relevant training for any deficit in their practice and knowledge. Staff must take personal responsibility for their own actions in relation to infection prevention and control practices during their day to day work.
- The post holder is expected to develop IT skills.
- The post holder may be requested to undertake duties at any location, in order to meet service needs.
- This job description is intended as a guide to the main responsibilities of the post and not as an exhaustive list of duties and tasks. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties appropriate to his/her grade, which are not listed above, at the direction of his/her manager. The job description may be amended from time to time after consultation with the post holder.
- Medwyn operates a No Smoking Policy.